Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The obligatory music post!

      



      Runners all have an opinion about music-- most seem to run with it, some don't (and it is nice to "run naked" once in a while to sort out your thoughts).  I am a music must have runner, because I catch myself focusing too much on my breathing (ie-- trying to control it, and I end up breathless and having to stop) or how much my body is struggling sometimes.  The music helps my mind relax, and I am able to let my body find its own stride, and its own rhythms.

      Just to be clear, make sure you are safe when you use headphones on a run.  I only run with one side of my headphones in my ear (so you can hear things around you like cars, or someone approaching), and just let the other side clip to my shirt.  There are also special models made just for runners that only have one earbud.  Either way, you should never have music loud enough/ headphones in that block sounds out entirely.    You being aware of your surroundings is essential to being safe (and courteous too) in any running situation.


      As for racing with headphones, always check with coordinators or look on the race's website for rules about gear restrictions.  Understandably, some races don't allow headphones, because they need to give runners instructions verbally during the course.  Just check ahead, and be prepared either way.

      If you are allowed, and you feel comfortable with them, then go for it!  Use the same courtesy as if you are running on the road-- keep one ear open in case you need to hear something from another runner, a volunteer, and of course so you can hear the cheers as you pass spectators!

*Image courtesy run2r.com*

      Here is a great little visual reminder for when you are making music choices-- finding your comfortable pace, then matching your music makes it so much more enjoyable (plus, the feeling of being totally awesome when you match your footfalls to your music-- don't deprive yourself of that!!) is really key.  Just choose music you really like, and won't mind listening to multiple times (because it will eventually repeat!). 

      I have a few of my favorites listed below, but any genre will work, just take an hour and really set it up the way you want, or even do several for different types of workouts/ runs (like the above suggests)!  Most importantly, find and use music that gets you pumped, excited and inspired to get out there!



Sample of my Running Playlist!

1. Bad Girls-- M.I.A.
2. Sunburn-- Owl City
3. The Beautiful People-- Marilyn Manson
4. Call Me Maybe-- Carly Rae Jepson 
5. Kryptonite-- 3 Doors Down
6. Die Young-- Ke$ha
7. Sexy and I know it-- LMFAO
8. Don't You Worry Child-- Swedish House Mafia
9.Thrift Shop-- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
10.Rescue-- Eve 6

Bonus:
Here are a few I am hoping to add to my list soon!

* Ceiling Can't Hold Us-- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
* Somebody Told Me-- The Killers
* Teenage Dirtbag-- Wheatus


      I know, the list is pretty diverse, but that keeps things interesting for me, and I like a *lot* of different music anyway.  So, what's on the top of your running or workout playlist?  Is there one particular song that really inspires or gets you pumped up??




   

No comments:

Post a Comment