Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cross Training-- is it *Really* that Important?

    Cross training:  this is a vocabulary word new to many folks who start running, but it essentially means doing any other exercise activity that is not related to your particular sport.  For instance, swimmers and football players lifting weights a few days a week on top of their normal practices.  In our case, runners can do just about anything as a cross training activity-- weight training, swimming, biking, yoga/ pilates-- you decide what you like best.  Its purpose is to keep your entire body toned and in shape, and not to *over* work any one part of your body too much-- you don't want to end up like this after all:


      So, cross training is really important, not just for physical appearance's sake either-- having a core that's in shape will help you keep your posture and balance more efficiently, so it's easier for your muscles to keep you upright on mile 14, and you can breathe a little easier (literally) while you cuss yourself for signing up for a marathon (joking..mostly!).  Burning fuel more efficiently is a big deal too, for those of you who are concerned with your weight at all-- more muscle equals more calorie burning (they use up lots more than the fat that stores it!).

     In short, cross training helps your running performance (anything to help that I will try!), helps keep you injury free thanks to stronger muscles and ligaments/ tendons (that keeps you out there running too!), helps you burn fuel more effectively (so, more beer right?), and is an added bonus to your already healthy body.

  
 Before we go any further, I have a confession to make... I cannot *stand* cross training days!  I know, if I enjoy running, why would doing any other exercise be any worse (how could it??) or difficult?  Well, in short, this is about how I feel about doing cross training of any kind:


   My sweet Hare is different-- he is naturally good at cross training (he was doing p90x for a while, and results show near instantly on his thin frame! I know...not fair is it?).  He can just get through it easily, and see results quickly.  He claims not to like it any more than I do, but at any rate, we both push the other to get it done, for our PR's sake!

    We have several DVD's, as well as a fitness game (sounds lame, but it has actually been really helpful!) for our PS3 called Fit in Six.  For folks like me, who loathe cross training time (in fact, I might be blogging this right this minute in a futile attempt at procrastinating my workout...) this is a helpful tool that isn't a DVD.  I have several yoga DVD's as well, and I recommend that to anyone starting out running as well-- it loosens you up, but tones very small and sometimes not thought about muscles (says one of my good running friends Iantha!), so this is especially important for injury prone runners too.  

     If you are the type who needs more stimulation than just "working out", why not dance?  I am a bellydancer in another life (seriously, I've been in love with it for 11 years now!) and it makes great cross training!  Zumba, ballroom dance, dance video games, anything of that sort works great!

This is usually more accurate of my cross training workouts...


     Now that we've covered the importance, and a few ideas, how much are you supposed to be doing all this anyway?  This seems to be one of the great debates-- everyone has formulas and ideas about what works best.  I am no guru, but I will say that the most important factor in working cross training into your schedule is what fits your life!  Don't bust your butt trying to do too much (always the advice on working out, or running!), but try to find time to squeeze in a 20-30 minute cross training session if you can.  That doesn't sound like much, but if you are doing that twice a week, and running 3 or 4, you are doing pretty good for yourself, don't you think?  Don't freak out or beat yourself up if you miss-- it's just like your runs, you just make the next one. 

      Speaking of that, cross training is always great if you can't get out and run one day (for example, we are on a weird schedule this week, so we are just doing boot camp/ yoga stuff this week, to keep it simple) and still need to do something.  Just do some circuits, some aerobics, Zumba, whatever you have time for!    

     All I'm getting at is this: You've got to cross train, so your whole body is at the same level.  So, go to it! On that note, I still have to do mine, so here I go...



What types of things do you to for cross training?  Do you feel like it is essential, or do you skimp on it sometimes?  Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment