Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Running Bucket List

     I have to admit, I am a sucker for awesome race bling.  I am fairly artistic, and something that small with so much visual impact (not to mention meaning) for the runners is just fantastic to me-- I applaud the people who have to re-create these things every year, along with the coordinators and volunteers who help the runs (often themed) go smoothly.  I have several that I would LOVE to eventually earn for myself, I thought for fun I would list them here and show off some of their bling!






     I have always had a soft spot for zombies...and now that running is part of my life too, how could I resist both at once?! This is an obstacle style race, where you have the option of either being a zombie (out to get the runners) or an escaping human-- everyone gets shirts, medals, and beer at the end, so it's just a party! My only problem would be deciding to run with the living or be with the living...dead!  This one doesn't come too close to my area either, so it would be a big weekend trip.




      This race appeals to my inner kid, and my ability to run a race *through* Disney World, dressed up in a costume! :)  The medals are always beautiful, and it's just an easy (ha, 13 miles...easy...) one for beginners to the half marathon world (so "they" say, whoever they is!).  It's one of the more expensive ones though (it's Disney though, what do you expect) and a little far for us, but it would be a fun short vacation!



        In stark contrast to the last race, the Warrior Dash 5k is a rough and tumble, muddy obstacle course race! You have to jump over fire, go through mud pits, barbed wire, and all kinds of crazy obstacles on your 3.1 mile course-- but at the end awaits an awesome medal (that last year included a bottle opener!), shirt, free beer and turkey leg (for the barbarian in you), and that stylish hat there!

       Plus, getting to say you rolled around in mud all morning, and had fun!  This one is actually in my area, so we have it on our radar for next year (it's in early May here-- perfect!)  There is a similar one (albeit longer) that I am NOT brave enough for yet (live electric wires shock you for the end-- it's called the Tough Mudder) ...but maybe one day we'll be ready!





      My sweet hubby is a HUGE car nut-- in fact, he owns (and loves, a lot) a rebuilt 1968 dune buggy, and his dream is to drive it down Route 66 someday.  This half marathon is totally for both of us!  Car themed, and hey, we could take the car, right? (Not on the course, just on the trip!)  It has been voted one of the top marathons in the U.S., so even though it's pretty far from us, it would be well worth seeing that part of the country, and some history!




      We went on our honeymoon to New Orleans...heck, my parents found my name in the Big Easy!  New Orleans is close to us, and just one of my favorite places to be.  Add Rock and Roll to that?  Well, I am a happy tortoise! I love the beads for the ribbon on the medals too.  The Hare has a collegue who ran this one the past year, she said it was fantastic, and a great one to try!  This one is for sure one the list someday soon!




      This is another one that might be more up the Hare's alley, but I think it's pretty awesome too.  He wanted to be an astronaut, and these are just fantastic medals!  It's a 5 year series of races, and the bottom two are bonus medals if you complete either 3 or all 5 years!  These might be doable, since we have friends and family that *might* be fantastic and let two vagabonds crash on their couch for a weekend. 




   This is another theme race, a 5k similar to the Color Run, but this one is run after dark, complete with blacklights, DJ's playing techno, and glow bracelets (and this totally funky GLOW IN THE DARK medal!) to keep it interesting.  I actually didn't hear about this one until it had already passed in my area, but there is always next year!

     What races are on your running bucket list?  Are there any that you have run already that were (or weren't) all that you imagined?


No comments:

Post a Comment