Sunday, June 23, 2013

Christmas in (almost) July!

   This weekend we were a bit out of pocket, visiting the Hare's family, going to a benefit, and getting new shoes!  It was about time for it, so on Friday afternoon we went over to Fleet Feet and went in, old shoes in tow, to see what we could find.  We were really pleased with everything, and took a good amount of time trying on several brands (I know, you should stick to one shoe some say, but we are new runners and thought we could branch out a little).

The Hare taking a moment for his old friends... his Lunar Eclipses

Our current shoes looking on in horror, wondering what will happen next

The new version of his old shoes, and his every day slogging around shoes in the foreground.

     The shoes are his birthday gift, so I just told him to go for it-- whatever ended up working best for him was what he needed anyway.  Little did I know what would happen!  He'd been interested in the Adidas Boost, but after finding out that they are not support shoes, he was hesitant to try them out (he's an overpronator, and needs the ankle support).  After trying out the newer version of his Nikes, some Mizunos (my favorite so far-- I love mine, and the narrower foot options that they offer), and a couple of others, he wound up with these:


    These are the Asics GT-2000, a supportive shoe with gel and it even has GORE-TEX uppers, so they are well weather proofed (and look at the spiffy bright colors!).  He said this feels comfortable and keeps him from wanting to roll his ankles out, so we will test this further on our inaugural run with them this evening!

      It was my turn next.  I am the injury prone one, and the one with knee concerns, but a neutral, so the saleswoman pulled several shoes for me, including one that had arrived just a couple of hours before we came in.  I loved my Mizunos, so I tried a couple of pairs of those, and a pair of Brooks first.

Mizunos-- loved the narrow width, and they felt close to my "old" pair.  These were my first choice until...

    After several pairs and jogs around the room, I decided to go out on a limb and try the brand new ones-- the Adidas Boost for women. (if you check the link, it isn't even available through their site yet it's so new!)  I figured it wouldn't hurt to try them-- though they were very different from any shoe I'd ever tried before.  The saleswoman asked if I wanted to run in them a little, since she hadn't even tried them on herself and couldn't wait to see them either.  I hopped on the treadmill, then they let me run through the parking lot a few times (I left the Hare as collateral in case I never came back!)


Trying them on-- they are even brighter than my old shoes!  


Testing the merchandise, and feeling like a hamster since I don't run on treadmills (I barely got it to turn on!)

      I ran a little loop on the brick path out there, came back in and announced "I am getting these shoes!"  The major technological breakthrough for the Adidas Boost is the material the soles are made of-- an interesting foam type of material (that is used in luxury cars, oddly enough) that gives you more rebound or "boost" with each step. (They also claim to absorb shock a lot more than typical shoes, so that helps my poor knees!)  The upper is a very high stretch mesh, so it fits my small foot snugly, and doesn't jostle around like a lot of the shoes I tried do.  They just felt right, and I hope our run tonight will solidify that choice!

      So, shopping trip was successful!  I will be sure to report back about our first run breaking in the new kicks next time-- but I wanted to add in a photo of the rest of our weekend as well (and the reason I couldn't blog this weekend.).  The benefit concert was a costumed affair, so we got to drive the Hare's first love, the dune buggy!  It always makes an impression (and yes, it is street legal!)

For size reference...that's a Ford f-250 behind me... the buggy is appropriate for a shoe post, because it is practically a shoe compared to other cars!


      That's pre- getting dolled up for the concert-- and no, I did not drive it, I did pose in the driver's seat though (I just let him drive the baby-- much less stressful that way!)  Here's the result of our hard work getting ready.  We did pretty well, and got a lot of compliments!


     So, that was our shoe buying adventure-- and it did feel like Christmas walking out of the store!  I hope we chose well, and these shoes will treat us as well as our old friends have!

Do you have one shoe you love?  Have you ever made a bad choice in a shoe?  Tell us about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment