Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Feel the Burn (and not in the muscles)

   


      Ok, so this is something that is touched on in most running magazines during the summer months, but  I wanted to dedicate and entire post to heat safety

       I applaud the powers that be for making sure everyone is as safe as possible when running in the hot summer months, but I really feel that they (most of whom live in New York, Boston, and the rest of New England) sort of miss the extreme importance (and burn) of the Southern states summers.  Just the chart above ( I was so excited when I found it, I printed it out and put it near my gear so I could refer to it as needed) illustrates how oppressively, unbearably HOT it can be (and in the Southeast, where I live, you have to add in a minimum of 50 percent humidity most of the time-- and that adds a whole new danger)!!

      The advice I have gotten is usually "move your run to a day that is less hot".  Ok, then I will hide my running shoes from May to October...got it!  Since it isn't possible for all of us to shift a run to a "cooler" day (or run inside on a treadmill), we brave the sweltering sun and "glisten" (makes it feel more glamorous) a little more than most folks do.  Well, how can we do that as safely as possible? (Let's face it, attempting a lot of physical exertion in the areas of the chart above we regularly live in is never perfectly risk free, but let's try for it).



      The first tip I have is DRINK something (water is fine, some people prefer a sports drink on runs longer than 30 minutes for salt replacement, but when it doubt, WATER!) and stay well hydrated between runs too!   (no, beer and big gulps do not count, sadly) The general rule is, if you are thirsty, then drink a few sips/ mouthfuls (I have had too much at once before, and sloshing is cute when you're a kid, but not comfortable 3 miles from home) at a time, and continue.

     There are lots of formulas I have seen (weigh yourself before a run, then after, and the difference is how many ounces you should drink on an X minute run is the most popular), but in general, just try to listen to your body.  Take it with you every single time.  It's not fun sometimes to have to carry water, but it is SO so important! 

   To keep it cool, I suggest either putting ice cubes in (with a backpack style water carrier) or putting a half full bottle in the freezer the night before, filling it the rest of the way right before leaving, and voila!  Cold water, the whole run. 

      Some people aren't fond of doing this, but I also pour some water over myself (neck and back mostly) if I feel myself too flushed ( I get red and feel like I'm literally close to ignition sometimes)-- it is an instant cooler, and your clothes should wick the moisture away and help cool you off a little as well. (Or pour some on your bandanna, or Frog Togg if you have one from my top 5 list post, and cool off that way!)


*Image courtesy of Bonita Running Club*


      My next tip can be tricky for some people, but if at all possible, try to run in the shade!  Lots of parks are out there, or if you're a road runner (like us) find a nice road nearby that has some shade (as much as possible).  Even being in the shade can make a 5 to 10 degree difference!  Don't let the shade fool you though, still plaster on sunscreen before you go!




       Getting up early is another helpful way to beat the heat (at least to some degree).  For example, it is just not possible for us to run in the early mornings due to the Hare's schedule, so we ran after 7pm last night...and it was still 90 degrees!  With the heat index, it felt like 98!  If you have to run at night, try for as late as possible before dark (or just after dusk if you feel comfortable and know it is safe).

    If you are determined to beat the heat, then set your alarm early enough to greet the sun while you get your run in-- those who do so regularly tell me it's a fantastic way to start off your day (those people are also the morning people we all grimace at over our coffee cups, but hey, whatever works right?)

      Just remember, if you do go out during a time of day that is low light, wear something reflective or flashing (there are TONS of products out there, and running clothing is bright and flashy nowadays anyway)  so you are easily spotted by cars, other runners, or bicyclists!






     My next tip is really simple-- just slow down.  I know, we are trying to get faster right?  Well, you just have to expect in the extreme heat that you will be slower on your runs.  In fact, if you are one of those runners who gets discouraged when their time is not as fast, then leave the stopwatch at home (or someplace you can't see it while you run).  Yes, I am one of those runners too-- I hate it when I see myself crawl even slower than I already feel, but don't be too hard on yourself!  After all, you are out there doing it.  A mile is a mile is a mile, no matter what, so just relax and run by effort, and don't fret about your times during the scorchers, ok?


      So, to recap, here are the tips:
1. Drink Something-- water, a sports drink, whatever you like, but keep hydrated!

2. Shade-- find some shade to run in if you can, whether it's on a road or trail, just keep out of the direct sun.

3.  Rise and shine--  run early in the morning (in the South even that can be hard to do-- it gets hot fast) to beat some of the heat.  If you can't manage that, then run as close to dark as possible  (wear something bright and flashing/ reflective so you're visible, either early or late!)

4. Slow and Steady--  take it down a notch, seriously!  Let yourself ease up some, so you aren't fighting the elements and your lungs and legs.  Run by effort, and don't feel bad if your times in hot weather are slower.  Just think of how awesome you'll be when it gets cool out!  You'll be unstoppable!


      What tips do you have for staying cool in the Southern summers while out for a run? (And no, a Mint Julep is not the best option, though refreshing!)  We've all been desperate enough to try just about anything, so tell us!


No comments:

Post a Comment