Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Running Injuries, Physical and Mental

Yep, that's about right!

      Running injuries are just about the first thing everyone warns when you start out in a program.  If you went to see your doctor for a physical, he or she probably warned you of the dangers-- "it's hard on your knees" or "you'll end up pulling a muscle and can' run".  Friends and family likely said something similar.  

      Since you've heard all this stuff, and started running anyway, I'm guessing that you've read up on some injury prevention tips-- let's face it, no one goes out with the intention of getting hurt!

      However, at some point, most folks do encounter a twinge of pain, or a mild strain, or bumps or bruises.    When that happens, sometimes we can over-think things, or worry unnecessarily about re injury.  If we baby ourselves, it hinders our training, but if we push through it, will we just end up harming ourselves more?

this happens in your head a lot.  Let the little voice win!


      Time for a personal story.  I pulled my calf muscle a little while ago.  It was very mild, but I was still stuck on the couch for a week, icing and elevating my ACE bandaged leg.  I pulled it right in the back of my knee-- it bruised a little, but had little swelling.  I had someone look at it (an orthopedic resident at the local medical center that lives near the Hare's parents) and it was confirmed.  No running for a week (that's all!).

     No running for a week was a mild sentence, but the mental injury lasted much longer.  On our first run back out, I wore a knee brace-- just the neoprene sleeve type.  We did alright, but at the first twinge of that leg, I stopped immediately.  I walked home, and iced and elevated.  In my mind, when I felt the tweak of discomfort, I panicked.  

    After that, I became overly sensitive of any issue while we ran-- if it wasn't "normal" I freaked out.  Finally, it started to effect my stride itself, which made other issues worse!  I told myself that I had to stop the spiral.  Our next run, I just pushed, through the twinge, and the discomfort lasted about 45 seconds...then it was gone.  My calf was just getting used to running again, just like the rest of me has!


      So, I wanted to show you this awesome infographic I found, that gives a good overview of injuries that are common, as well as several ways to prevent and treat them, and things to keep you strong while you recover:



     Here's another link to a great article about common injuries, and helpful tips (that don't take much effort or special time) to try and lessen your chances of having trouble!



     This is awesome and to the point for physical recovery-- and the photo above of the sign is pertinent to mental recovery.  Of course running is a risk of sorts, just as much as leading a sedentary life is.  Trust me, I have fallen off the couch and hurt myself worse than that muscle pull!  Don't let the fear of running and becoming injured stop you from even trying it-- everyone starts from the bottom, and everyone had the same aches and pains (some good and for growth, like soreness the next day), and everyone who keeps running gets past them!

Yes, this is me-- whatever it takes to get your mind back to running!

     
      So, if you find yourself injured, take the advice of those wiser than you (or your doctor's advice, I'm covering when to see a doctor tomorrow!), and take it easy, but don't get scared that you are going to fall apart if you get back to your regularly scheduled programming (training). 

     Sometimes the mental recovery can be just a tough as the physical (I know it was harder for me, being the anxiety queen that I am).  Seek out support from friends, family and other runners, and most importantly, get back out there when it's safe to!


Have you ever had an injury?  What was it, and how did you handle it (physically and mentally)?  Did you have to stop running for a specific period, or did you push through?  Talk to me about it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment