Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Gear review: Amphipod Full tilt waist pack

      I am one of those runners that cannot stand having a bottle (or anything else) in my hands when I run.  It just makes me feel weird, and I feel like I have to keep my grip on it and it ends up hurting me later. Weird? Maybe.  But thankfully there are lots of non-holder bottles out there for those of us who don't like carrying water.

      At first I tried the Hare's Kelty hydration pack, and though it is wonderful (its name is Moocow!  When we only had it, one of us would run with it, and the other would ask for water and grab the hose and drink.  It feels like a baby cow nursing sort of, so the name stuck) women's running singlets are not built to have a backpack on.  I got chafed by the straps a little (not bad, but I hate to just put up with it for the sake of "it wasn't so bad").

      After that, my search was on for something suitable.  Most of the hydration belts you get have small bottles-- and honestly, that irritates me.  I don't want 13 tiny bottles of water all around my waist (it's goofy enough to run with a belt, much less with little bottles, and they jiggle and slosh!).  I have friends that like theirs, and it's really a matter of finding the right one for you, but that particular type is not for me.  Besides, it's hot here in summer-- I need more than tiny bottles.

     When we went to our running store looking for shoes, I happen to see this Amphipod water bottle holder.  The saleswoman told me that she was ok with it, but she felt like it moved around on her a lot (tiny thing that she was).  I figured I'd try it out, and just make sure I kept it cinched enough.


      It essentially fits in the curve of your back, and cinches around your waist.  The first time I ran with it I really wasn't sure to be honest-- it did jiggle around some, and I had a bit of trouble getting it back into the sleeve.  However, with a few more runs it got a lot easier, and I finally got it adjusted just right!  I love it because I can put ice in it, fill it up, and it keeps me a little cooler.  Once you get the hang of slipping it back into the holster, it's just fine, and it does not fall out (not yet anyway *knock on wood*).

     The bottle itself is 20 ounces, more than the typical small 6 or 8oz. bottles.  It is also contoured so you don't drop it trying to get it out of the sleeve, and it's bright green and BPA free!  It hasn't leaked, and if you use Nuun or some other sports drink you won't have any trouble with this bottle-- just put whatever in it and shake it-- the seal is great.

     There is a small zippered pocket on the sleeve as well for money, keys etc.  It's too small for a Gu or anything, but it will keep some small things.  However, Amphipod has lots of small add on pouches and neat things to add to a belt if you want to customize yours (I'm considering it now that I've found this information out!)  The material on the back is also vented, so you don't sweat to death under the pack.  

     The best thing about this pack is definitely that it doesn't bounce around! When I wore the others I felt like I was getting smacked by the bottles or straps-- I just felt like it bounced too much.  With this one it felt fine (after a little adjusting to make sure I had it fitted to me properly).   I've seen some cheaper types of holders like this literally hit someone in the back of the knees it bounced so much, so beware of cheaply made ones!

This is me for sure!

     We all know staying hydrated is important, and if you are an anti in hand water carrier like me, this might be a good option to look into.  Amphipod (and the plethora of other companies-- any one you find will do great!) has about 800 other options too, so just look at them (in person if possible!) and try them out until you find one you like best. 

**Off Topic Update**
      So we're horrible people and skipped our run this morning.  The Hare is on night shift this week, and I never sleep well (ahem, usually crashed out on the couch) so we were both just not going.  So, we just did a good leg workout instead, and we have a good run planned for Friday-- a group run of a mile hill repeat x4 (1/2 mile up, 1/2 mile back down)!!  I'm excited about this because I've never done much with running groups, but the people are really friendly, and the neighborhood is gorgeous and it'll be great motivation having others there (and less incentive to cuss the hill as I go up and down!).  We'll see how excited I am after I run up and down hills for half an hour.

What kind of water bottle/ hydration pack do you have?  Have you ever had trouble finding the right gear for running?  DO you like hill runs?  How about group runs?  Respond below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment