Monday, August 12, 2013

R.I.C.E.-- and I'm not talking starch here!

      If you've ever read a running book, blog, magazine, or anything dealing with running, one of the first things you likely see is a question from someone new about running while injured.  Is it ok to do?  How do I know?  How do I prevent it/ treat it?


  So here is the acronym-- rest, ice, compression, and elevation.  Sounds simple right?  Well, a lot of runners forget the "elevation" and totally ignore the "rest" parts of this word, especially while training (when you are most likely to be injured)!  

     This is inspired by the copy of Runner's World I just got-- it included "Running Injury Free", and I realized that I have blabbed on about R.I.C.E. tons, but haven't ever gone in depth about it!!  It is really simple, but unfortunately a lot of people (yes, we tend to get crazy and think our awesome bodies are invincible sometimes) forget to use all 4 letters of R.I.C.E.


  It helps to know what makes us injured in the first place.  I found this handy chart when I was researching injuries (I am the injury prone one, and also the paranoid one, so I read about it frequently) and thought it was a good visual for anyone to remember:


     For each one of these circles, there is a multiplied chance of you getting some type of injury.  There is some debate about the treadmill/ softer surfaces vs. road running, but honestly I am too new myself to know or notice much difference, so I leave that up to you to investigate (and please let me know if you find something or have experience!).


    Well, now that we see the risks and know the whole acronym, let's look into precisely how to implement the R.I.C.E. treatment if you happen to become injured.  I hope that doesn't happen, but just in case!

    For starters, as soon as you feel something "off" or "wrong", begin treating it!  If something is bothering you during a run, but not necessarily altering your gait, then take a few minutes with an ice pack after the run and prop the bothersome spot up for 10-15 minutes.  Avoid icing any longer than this in one sitting, as that can actually damage tissues.  Be sure to stretch gently, and ice periodically for at least a few hours if you can.

    Elevation is just that-- raising your injured body part above your heart.  It can feel a little weird, but just pile up some pillows on the bed or couch (someplace comfortable for you), and read or surf the net for a bit while you allow your leg to rest in that position.  Icing and elevating at the same time was my go to method, but whatever you find works best for you, by all means do that.

A wedge shape is best, so the knee isn't bent too much!


   If the injury is really getting to you, an ACE bandage or other compression device can help as well.  I pulled my calf mildly a while back, and I kept it in a bandage while I was walking around or out and about, and when I came home I elevated and iced it.  This is the general rule-- keep it stable and compressed while you must move it, and elevate it (for bloodflow reasons) when you can and REST IT.

    Rest is the most obvious and easy (supposedly) piece of the injury treatment plan, but the one least followed!  It's tough to not be sick, but still want to go out on a run, or feel guilty for "missing" one. Rule of thumb is one day off completely, to see how it feels in 24 hours.  If it is still bothersome, take another one or two off.  Any more than 3 days off and you should get to the doctor! Believe me, it is much better to take one day off than miss 4 months because you really did a number on an injury that was worsened by continuing training.


    I felt like this needed to be put here as well-- if you are unable to sleep or get comfortable, or walk, please forgo treatment at home and see a doctor as soon as possible!  Only someone medically trained can really give you the best treatment and advice, so above all else trust them and your own judgement.


    R.I.C.E. is really simple and effective if you are proactive with treatment as soon as you notice-- and even if it requires a little time off (as per your doctor, if needed) it's easier than you think to get back into it!  Stay safe out there!

**Personal Update**


      I am AMAZED at this run!  The hilly trail run from last week was 5 miles, but for some reason, this one felt so much more successful, for both of us!  There was a breeze, and that helped so much, as well as us running right at dusk (we were visible, I promise!).  We did walk for about 1/4 mile, but honestly our legs were on autopilot at that point, and we both laughed at how difficult it was to slow down and just walk for a minute!  I kind of felt like this...minus the treadmill of course, and I didn't fall.


   Pretty soon our long runs are going to be reaching lengths where we'll need some kind of fuel (or at least something a bit more than water!) and that is both exciting and terrifying for me!



Have you ever been injured?  Did you have to see a doctor, or did you use R.I.C.E only?  Do you fuel on long runs?  Talk to me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment